After you have ordered your ADA Compliant Signs you want to make sure that you comply with the installation height and other installation requirements for ADA Signage. When you work with Signs of Intelligence, in Peachtree Corners, you don’t need to worry about that, as we are up to date with all ADA Signage installation requirements in the state of Georgia. However, a little knowledge of your own doesn’t hurt and it might be helpful to determine if the ADA Signs in your current facility are installed according to the installation requirements in the Americans with Disabilities Act. Therefore continue to read to learn everything you need to know about installing ADA Compliant Signs.
Where to install ADA Signage
Before we clarify the exact installation height of ADA Signage, let’s review where to install ADA Signs. Most ADA Signs indicate what’s inside a room and therefore they are supposed to be installed next to the door. The type of door determines where to install the sign. Below is a simply list of where to install your ADA sign, based on the door type.
- The sign shall be mounted next to door on the latch side of the door.
Double doors (two active leaves)
- The sign shall be mounted to the right of the right handed door.
Double doors (one active leaf):
- The sign shall be mounted on the inactive leaf.
Inward swinging doors:
- The sign may be mounted on door if three criteria are met:
1) the door closes automatically
2) the sign is mounted on the push side of the door
3) the door does not have a hold-open device
Outward swinging doors:
- The sign must be mounted to the wall outside of the arc of the door swing. The sign should be located within an 18” x 18” square of clear floor space. This, to avoid the possibility of a door swinging open and cause injury.
Considering the above, there might not always be room on the wall next to the door. If this is the case, you may install the sign on the nearest adjacent wall.
Installation Height for ADA Signage
Now that it is clear where to install ADA Signage, we will clarify the installation height for ADA Signage.
- Minimum Height: Baseline of lowest character must be 48” above the finished floor.
- Maximum Height: Baseline of the highest character must not exceed 60”above the finished floor.
A good rule of thumb is to install the sign at 54”off the finished floor. Like this you will comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the sign will be located at eye level.
ADA Signage Installation in Peachtree Corners, GA
In summary of this article we have included a schematic above to understand the installation requirements for ADA Signage. In addition to the sign design and fabrication of ADA Signs, at Signs of Intelligence we offer installation services. Don’t take any risks and leave the installation of your ADA Signage to professionals in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Do you need help with new ADA Signage and installation? Call your local sign company in Peachtree Corners at 470.395.0171 or request a quote here.